Visitors And Students

Skilled New York City Student Visa Immigration Attorneys

The high quality of colleges and universities in the United States draws thousands of foreign students to the U.S. every year. In order to attend a U.S. school, foreign students must obtain a student visa. Because they are visiting the U.S. temporarily and not seeking permanent residence, student visa holders are often referred to as nonimmigrants.

Obtaining a student visa is a multi-step process that often comes with the time crunch of the start of a semester. A high percentage of applications and appeals submitted to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) without the assistance of legal counsel are denied because they do not meet the necessary criteria. The student visa lawyers at C.T. Lee & Associates in New York City will work to ensure that your application meets all criteria and is processed without delay so that you are ready when school starts.

We Tackle Your Visa Application So That You Can Focus On Studies

Once you have shown that you have been accepted to a USCIS-approved educational or vocational institution, there are a number of different types of student and visitor visas. An experienced immigration attorney can help you determine which is right for your situation. These include:

  • F-1 visas allow foreign nationals to enter the United States as full-time students at an accredited academic institution or in a language training program. F-1 visa holders may stay in the United States as long as they maintain their full-time studies. They are allowed to work 20 hours or less on campus. A spouse or child of an F-1 visa holder may obtain an F-2 visa.
  • J-1 visas are for students as well as teachers, research assistants, professors and others who intend to participate in an approved educational program. J-1 participant programs are designed to promote the exchange of knowledge and skills in the fields of education, arts and sciences. J-1 visa holders must return to their home country for at least two years after the expiration of their J-1 visa unless they obtain a waiver.
  • M-1 visas allow foreign nationals to enter the United States to enroll in accredited vocational and technical schools. M-1 visas are less open-ended than F-1 visas. Students with M-1 visas may only remain in the United States for the length of their training program plus any additional time that is necessary for optional practical training.

Also Assisting With Visitor Visas

Of course, learning no longer ends with graduation from an academic institution. Professionals have discovered that learning is a lifelong pursuit in order to further one’s career. Foreign nationals who want to attend a conference, meeting or other professional event in the United States may need to obtain a B-1 business visa. Holders may consult with business associates, negotiate a contract, participate in short-term training or settle an estate.

B-1 visas often are granted in conjunction with B-2 visas for the purposes of tourism or visiting family or friends. B-2 visas are granted for six months admission to the United States and can be extended for an additional six months.

Contact C.T. Lee & Associates

We welcome the opportunity to review your situation and recommend the best steps to take. Avoid the stress of a school term or important business meeting arriving while you are wrestling to work out arrangements to receive a visa. Contact our Manhattan law firm by calling 800-494-3809.