Rights And Advantages Of EB-5 Visas

Understanding The Rights And Advantages Of EB-5 Visas

-Become US resident: You, your spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 all get green cards (i.e. legal permanent residence). There is a limit of five children (adopted children do count toward this total). You have the freedom to live, work, and retire anywhere in the United States.

-Education: Your children will pay the same tuition rate as U.S. residents for school.

-Citizenship: You may choose to become a U.S. Citizen five years after you received your conditional green card. A citizen is different from a permanent resident. As a citizen, you will have the right to vote and to be elected. Second, you may bring your parents and siblings to the US by sponsoring their immigration visa. Third and last, while you cannot lose your citizenship except in extraordinary circumstances like a felony conviction, it is possible to lose your permanent residency in the following situations:

  • If a permanent resident moves to another country with the intent to live there permanently;
  • If permanent resident stays outside the United States for more than one year, but has not applied for a re-entry permit or a returning resident visa, or has stayed outside the United States after the re-entry permit expired;
  • If the permanent resident doesn’t file income tax returns when he or she is outside the United States;
  • If you declare a nonimmigrant status on federal documents;
  • If you are involved in fraud or false claims when you file your application for permanent residence or naturalization;
  • If you are convicted of a crime involving narcotics, murder, or money laundering, helping others enter US unlawfully, or have a communicable disease, etc.

More On Tax Returns

Once you become a permanent resident cardholder, the U.S. government will request that you file tax returns for your income, including foreign income. This could result in double taxation. However, the tax that investors file to other countries discharge a portion of the tax needs to be paid in America. Therefore, you will pay less tax in USA than countries such as China unless the cardholder’s main investment is in the USA. Explanation: It does not matter how long you have stayed outside of the US, you must file tax return as green card holders. Tax returns must be filed before April 15 every year.

Contact C.T. Lee & Associates Today

Contact our law firm, located in New York, by calling 800-494-3809.